CADET BAND (Open to all students in grade 6 and higher with 1 year playing experience)
Main Objective- Reviewing and engraining the fundamentals and concepts learned in Beginning Band, and increasing student ability in the areas of technique, range, rhythm comprehension, articulation, and sight-reading.
Course Overview- Students begin rehearsals and small group lessons during the first week of the school year, and each band member begins with whatever knowledge they are able to carry over from Beginning Band, summer practice, and private lessons (if the student receives private instruction on their instrument). By the end of the school year Cadet Band students should have a working knowledge of the following concepts and skills-
- All of the concepts covered and listed under Beginning Band
- An extended range on the instrument, exceeding one octave by at least an interval of a fifth
- A mature and controlled tone
- Ability to sight-read notes and rhythms of a basic nature on their own with minimal difficulty
- Improved speed and overall technique on the instrument, able to navigate through eighth note passages at around 120 BPM (beats per minute).
- Ability to comprehend sixteenth note passages and count various sixteenth note rhythms when together or mixed with eighth notes.
- Performance in Komarek’s Solo & Ensemble required of all Cadet Band students, learning to perform and interpret a piece of music as an individual
For band supplies (reeds, valve oil, cork grease, etc.), instrument rentals, repairs, returns, and anything else band/music related please click on the link below or dial PM Music directly at (630) 978-9927.